Thursday, September 10, 2009

Blog # 4

When Richard read my piece and gave me feedback, he gave me some good ideas and helpful points. He said that I need to make my intro stronger my having a stronger starting sentence. Also I got that he wanted me to make the piece more about myself and not tell so many stories. I will defiantly make my intro stronger and try and make my body paragraphs make more sense.



Who Ever Said You Can’t Do It?
By Grant Garrity
I first grasped a baseball bat when I was five or six years old. At that age I would have never known the importance of baseball and what it means to people when they play. I remember sitting on the rusted green bench waiting to be called up to bat one of my first years playing. The excitement and joy walking up to the plate and having all of the parents and kids watch you as you take center stage. As I step into the box drawn by a thick line of chalk I tense up waiting to hit the ball. My coach then sets the ball onto the tee and I wind up watching the ball for as long as I can and swing my hardest. CRACK! The sight of the ball flying through the air is so exciting that it puts a grin on my face like no other. In years to come I will learn to respect, honor, and believe in the game of baseball.
"There's a long drive way back in center field. Way back, back! Oh what a catch by Mays! ... Willie Mays just brought this crowd to its feet with a catch, which must have been an optical illusion to a lot of people! Boy!"  The voice of Jack Brickhouse was filled with excitement as he exclaimed the unfolding of these memorable events. 1954 Willie Mays makes the remarkable catch in the 1954 World Series, which has made him so famous along with many other great achievements. Mays didn’t just play baseball for the money or the fame; he played because he had passion for the game. His passion and commitment for the game of baseball is my passion and commitment to school and getting into a great college. I too love to play baseball and have learned many morals and values that Willie Mays was probley taught as well.
This past year of playing baseball I have learned that that training and commitment are the key to being a good ball player. I have also applied this to school if you don’t train for a test you will not succeed. If you to not practice and train to be a good athlete most chances are you will not be good. This is something that Mays was extremely well at. At a young age he would go out and play ball after school every day. In his professional career he trained almost every single day. He also had an icon that he respected and appreciated the most in his childhood, his Uncle. His uncle would say to him "You're going to be a baseball player. You're going to be a baseball player, and we're gonna see to that.” And this was true.
For years my father has gone between sitting in the bleachers watching me play to sitting next to me on the bench coaching me in how to fix my swing next time I get up to bat.  He has been one of my biggest influences in the game of baseball.  As a kid he would say, “If you try hard enough you will succeed.”  Now since I am older he says to me “Be a leader not a follower.” He has inspired me to try my hardest and do as much as I can to go out of my way and help others.
From a young little boy who loved to play all different types of sports baseball to me has always been my passion. I have never gone a season without playing. Even when bumps in the road occur I was taught to keep strong and never doubt yourself. The lessons I have learned as a kid from guardians to athletes have been so useful up to now.  Willie Mays has showed me that if you try hard and put your mind to what you really want to do you will succeed. I hope to pass these lessons I have learned in life so far, on to other people and to future generations.

No comments: