Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Writing Reflection

In the beginning of the year my writing was messy and didn't prove the point I was trying to make. I had not learned the writing tips, therefor my writing didn't make sense and had unnecessary words which went against all the writing we learned at the end of the year. In my Ampersand piece I tried to use the tip, make meaning early. This means that the important information or points go first in sentences and paragraphs.  In my Into Thin Air essay I wrote my paragraphs so that all the important information was mixed around in different order so that it was hard to understand.

Drafts played a huge role in Ampersand. I started out my essay writing about my job then I was going to try and relate it to cooking. This was a challenge because as hard as I tried, I couldn't accomplish this. I realized that I just needed to stick with cooking and how I feel about it, which worked very well for me. Over the course of the eight different drafts my writing went from bad to shiny and polished. This was because I used the writing tips such as; make meaning early, avoid using ings, and revisit sentence basics. With these tools I could write like a pro!

A goal I have for myself for writing in the future is follow the rules and tips. When I think of this, I think about the long list of tips that promote what to do, and what not to do while writing anything. I will not write for length using filler words and run-on sentences, but I will make meaning early.

No comments: